Your Guide to Adaptogen Supplements
Adaptogens have been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for thousands of years, but over the past year or two, interest in adaptogenic supplements has skyrocketed.
If you are interested in learning more about how adaptogens can help support your body, read on.
What are Adaptogenic Herbs?
Adaptogens are herbs that help the body respond to both physical and mental stress. (1) This is something that we all could benefit from, and supplementing with adaptogens can help the body adjust and recalibrate itself depending on what your emotional, as well as physical surroundings are.
In combination with healthy dietary and lifestyle changes, adaptogens have the power to really help support your body’s overall stress response.
However, in order for an herb to be classified as adaptogenic, it must have the 4 N’s.
- Normalizing (helps the body restore balance.)
- Non-specific (this means it can help support various body systems at the same time.)
The Benefits of Adaptogenic Herb
In addition to the fact that adaptogenic herbs literally help our body’s respond and cope with stress, they have also been found to hold many other impressive health benefits.
Some of the benefits include:
- Boosts Immunity
- Balance Hormones
- Promotes Cognitive Function
- High in Antioxidants
- Improves Overall Wellbeing
- Increases Energy
- Optimises Organ Function
- Reduces Stress Response
- Improves Cholesterol Levels
- Improves Blood Sugar Levels
The Best Adaptogen Herbs
When looking for adaptogens, you may be surprised to see how many different options you come across. To help you decide which option may work best for you, here are some of the best Chinese herbal adaptogens.
- Cordyceps : Cordyceps promotes healthy energy levels, balance hormones and strengthns your immune system.
- Dong Quai (Angelica root) : Dong Quai is a natural anti-inflammatory and provides immune-stimulating effects, balances hotmones. It also helps with allergies, constipation, blood pressue along with any other benefits.
- Ginseng : Red and white Ginseng boost energy, improves stress response, promotes healthy immune system, mental clarity and healthy sexual function.
- Rhodiola Rosea : Improves brain function, fight fatigue, reduces stress and excercise performance
- Hong Jing Tian (Licorice) : Licorice supports adrenal gland function and is thought to revitalize adrenal glands
- White Atractylodes (Bai Zhu) : White Atractylodes is great for indigestion, stomachache, bloating, fluid retention, diarrhea, loss of appetite, weight loss as well as joint pain
- Turmeric : Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and antioxidant and may also help improve symptoms of depression, arthritis and many other health benefits.
- Ashwagandha : Reduces Cortisol levels, stress and axiety, boosts fertility and reduces inflamation.
- Schisandra Berry (Wu Wei Zi ) : Schizandra berries are a general tonic, which decrease fatigue, enhance physical performance, they also reduce the level of stress hormones
*See below where to purchase these Adaptogen herbs supplemts.
Which Adaptogens Work Best For What?
Now that you know a little bit more about adaptogens, and some of the best options, here are what these specific adaptogens work best for.
Adaptogens for Long-term Stress: If you are dealing with chronic stress, ginseng, rhodiola, and licorice root are excellent adaptogenic herb options.
Adaptogens for Immune Health: Ginseng, as well as reishi, are two adaptogens most commonly known for their immune-boosting benefits. Try supplementing with Ginseng or reishi during cold and flu season to stay healthy all year long.
Adaptogens for Hormones Balance: If you are looking for adaptogens to help promote better hormone balance, consider supplementing with cordyceps, licorice root, or Dong Quai.
Adaptogens for Indigestion/ Boating: Stress can lead to all different kinds of digestive upset. To help support digestive health and reduce indigestion and bloating, white atractylodes makes a great adaptogenic supplement option.
Adaptogens for Energy: Ginseng is also great for energy support, as is eleutherococcus senticoccus which is commonly used among athletes to help support exercise performance. (4)
Adaptogens For Overall Health: Ashwagandha is a great adaptogenic herb to support overall wellbeing and is also great for stress and anxiety relief. (5)
Adaptogens for Anxiety: Siberian ginseng, rhodiola, and schisandra are ideal adaptogenic herb choices to help support the body’s fight-or-fight response. (6)
How Do You Add Adaptogens to Your Diet?
Adaptogens can be added to the diet a number of ways. One of the easiest ways is by taking an adaptogenic supplement. However, you can also find adaptogen powders and teas. If you choose to use adaptogens in powder form, you can blend them right into your daily smoothie.
The Bottom Line
Interested in seeing how adaptogenic herbs can help support your overall health? Give them a try to see which one works best for you. There’s no denying just how powerful they can be for overall health, and it may be the missing link to helping you achieve better overall health and wellness.
However, just remember that it’s equally as important to change your surroundings and the underlying cause of why you are dealing with chronic stress. While adaptogens can help your body’s response to stress, you need to be making healthy stress-reducing changes to help improve your levels of chronic stress in order to gain all the benefits adaptogens have to offer.
With a combination of both stress reduction and quality adaptogenic herbs, it’s a powerful duo that may completely transform your health.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our clinics website: GinSen where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.