How To Restore Liver Health : Chinese Medicine Approach
Liver plays a very important role and contributes directly to your health and wellbeing. The role of Liver in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is more extensive and complicated compared to the one in Western medicine.
In western medicine Liver is in-charge of removing toxins from your body, producing bile and performing essential metabolic functions. However, in Chinese Medicine the definition of Liver is much broader. It includes anatomy, logical reasoning, and philosophy, and involving multiple systems and organs. Keep reading to learn more.
Liver’s function in Chinese Medicine
In Chinese Medicine Liver is connected to other internal organs and the main function of Liver is to regulate and ensure free flow of ‘Qi’ throughout the body and store blood. Qi translates to ‘life force’ or ‘energy flow’ that sustains all living beings.
Liver carries ‘Qi’ around the body and supports the functioning of other organs, limbs and tissues.
In simple words – Liver pushes Qi to the relevant organs and if the Qi is stagnant or obstructed various diseases and symptoms can arise. Liver also stores blood when we are asleep or our body is not being used, when our body is awake and being used it supplied blood to the muscles and nourishes them. This function affects the energy levels.
Signs and Symptoms of imbalanced or weak Liver
Diagnosis in traditional Chinese medicine is highly individualised so if functioning of Liver is hindered, a range of symptoms can arise and affect various parts of the body including:
Anger is the emotion associated with the Liver. If you are easily irritable or get angered easily with day to day activities and have difficulty reasoning with this anger – Liver may hold the answer.
Other symptoms include:
- Emotion disorder : stress , anxiety, low mood, insomnia, headaches
- Hormone imbalance and menstrual healthy: irregular periods , periods pain, infertility
- Fertility organs disorder : PCOS, Cyst, Endometriosis, Fibroid, etc
- Digestion problems : IBS, indigestion, slow metabolism, over weight
- Pain : headache, chest pain, abdominal pain, joint pain
- Skin disorder : itching, rash, eczema, acne
- Other: Eyes infections, urine tract infection, weak immune system, tightness of the tendons, eye problems, muscle spasms
What could cause imbalanced Liver
In Chinese Medicine healthy Liver is referred to as balanced Liver, this balance depends on: Liver Qi, Yi and Blood. Liver Qi is vital energy, it is in charge of energy flow is the body and manages the storing and releasing of blood as needed by the body. Yin and Blood are Liver’s own nutrition or substance to support Liver Qi function. There could be several reasons which could affect or injure Liver Qi or cause a Liver Yin and Blood deficiency, including:
- Emotion: Stress, anxiety or sadness
- Environmental pressure : Chronic pressure from work or life circumstances, exposure to toxics chemicals
- Diet: Poor diet such as eating a diet high in sugars and fats (especially refined carbohydrates and unhealthy types of fat such as those found in deep-fried foods)
- Lifestyle: Eating too much, exercising too little or being under constant stress
- Other health issues: poor sleep, fatigue, weak immune system
How can Chinese Medicine Restore Liver Health
When you experience the above related symptoms, even if they are mild then it is the time for you to take the first steps into detoxify overall issues related to your liver. Take a look at our simple tips for every day Liver health here.
If your symptoms cannot cleanse itself, you will need to get help from a Chinese Medicine expert or seek other treatment to support Liver health. At our clinics GinSen, we have severe natural treatment that can assist with Liver health and detoxify Liver heat, and keep the Liver Qi, Yin and Blood flowing. Some of the treatments for Liver health include:
1. Acupuncture treatment: by using fine needles to unblock your Vital energy channels form external, promote overall body’s Qi flow and aspect.
2.Chinese Herbal Medicine: Our herbal supplements and herbal prescription tea are tailor made for you according to your own health condition, they detoxing and help with the root of cause, and balance the organs, reduce the symptoms.
3.Cupping therapy: It is the drug free, non invasive and pain free treatment which is primarily used to detox, unblock energy channels, repair and stimulate your body’s functions.
4.Lymphatic Drainage Massage /Tui na: Provides relief from pain related symptoms, boosts energy, relieves stress and detoxes the body along with and boosting immune system.
5.Add Herbal Supplements to your daily routine: We understand not everyone has time to take out of their daily routine to seek professional treatments, which is why our Chinese Medicine experts have formulated herbal blends which can be added to your daily routine and offer you the same result. Recommend supplements for Liver health: Liver Detoxing Remedy, Long Dan Cao Tang, Mood Balance.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our consultation page where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.