Restore Low AMH and High FSH levels to boost fertility with Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture
Ovarian Reserve – What are AMH and FSH?
Every woman is born with a fixed number of eggs. This is known as her ovarian reserve. As a woman grows older, her ovarian reserve decreases until she finally reaches menopause. Anti-mullerian hormone (AMH) and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) are two female reproductive hormones which can be measured to indicate a woman’s ovarian reserve, and therefore her fertility. Low AMH levels and FSH levels rise re associated with reduced fertility. Recently AMH and FSH levels have also been used as an indicator for male infertility. (1)
If you are struggling to conceive, it is normal for your doctor to check FSH and AMH levels.
What is FSH ?
FSH (Follicle-stimulating hormone) is produced by the pituitary gland. The FSH levels in your blood are an indication of the number of follicles in your body. Testing for FSH levels will help determine how many of FSH hormones are present in the bloodstream, as the number of follicles decrease, the level of FSH increases. Usually drawn at the beginning of your menstrual cycle, FSH level is used as an indicator for ovarian function.
Higher FSH Levels = Low/ Diminishing Ovarian Reserve
What is AMH?
AMH (Follicle-stimulating hormone) is a protein hormone produced by cells within the ovary. Testing for AMH will help determine the state of the ovarian reserve and how many eggs are left in the ovaries which allows for assessing your fertility. AMH levels diminish with age, AMH levels observed in older women ( generally over the age of 40) are lower.
Lower AMH Levels = Low/ Diminishing Ovarian Reserve
Generally low AMH coincides with high FSH, and both of these together are an indicator of low ovarian reserve.
“Low AMH and high FSH levels are an indicator of diminished ovarian reserve.”
Reasons for Low AMH and High FSH
AMH decreases naturally with age, but some women are genetically predisposed to lower AMH levels.
FSH levels to rise with age, it is very common for FSH levels to be high if you are transitioning into menopause.
- Being overweight (BMI >25)
- Drinking caffeine or alcohol
- Exposure to environmental toxins
- Vitamin D deficiency
Symptoms of low AMH and high FSH
There are no obvious symptoms however, some have noticed irregular period, absent periods for AMH and along with menopause, hot flashes and headaches for FSH levels. The best way to diagnose is by getting an blood test for these levels.
AMH and FSH Levels in Women
High levels of FSH and low AMH can be indicators of:
- Poor ovarian function
- Poor Egg quality
- Polycystic ovary syndrome ( PCOS )
- Certain types of tumour in the pituitary gland
Low levels of FSH and high AMH could mean that:
- Low ovarian reserve
- Eggs are not being produced
- The pituitary gland is not functioning properly
- The person is under significant stress
- The person is severely underweight
AMH and FSH levels in men
It is also necessary for men to have normal levels of the hormone, as FSH controls sperm production.
High levels FSH and low AMH in a male could suggest:
- Advancing age (male menopause)
- Damage to testicles caused by alcohol abuse, chemotherapy or radiation
- Genetic problems, such as Klinefelter syndrome
Low levels FSH and high AMH in a male could indicate:
- Sperm is not being produced
Traditional Chinese Medicine View of FSH and AMH
Traditional Chinese Medicine takes a different view to that of western medicine when it comes to AMH and FSH levels. According to traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), we are all born with a certain amount of a substance known as jing or “essence.” The quality of your jing is partially determined by genetics, but can also be either preserved or depleted by the lifestyle you choose. Eating a balanced diet, getting enough sleep, and gentle exercise can all help to preserve jing, while activities such as smoking and drinking alcohol cause it to deplete quickly.
Jing is stored by your Kidneys, and like AMH, it naturally decreases with age. Jing is also closely related to Kidney-yin which plays an important role in reproductive health. Therefore as jing and Kidney-yin decline with age, your fertility does too.
Traditional Chinese Medicine takes a holistic approach and looks to balance hormones and correct any imbalances at its source
Thus, increasing your fertility and in turn your chances of conceiving as opposed to just targeting FSH and AMH levels.
Based in the Chinese Medicine principles of Yin Yang balance there are four main clinical pattern which are observed:
- Qi stagnant and Blood stasis
- Spleen and Kidney Yang deficiency
- Yin and blood deficiency
- Spleen deficiency and excessive dampness
What does Chinese Medicine therapy involve to restore AMH and FSH levels and enhance fertility ?
In TCM, Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and anti-mullerian hormone (AMH) levels are not seen as the cause of the fertility issues, but more the result of an underlying imbalance. The aim of a TCM practitioner is, therefore, to help the body to function at its best, by restoring reproductive health and encouraging a balanced system.
Common methods include : Acupuncture, Cupping, Moxibustion, Herbal Tea and Herbal Supplements
How Chinese Medicine methods work for AMH and FSH levels ?
We have treated many couples who have been struggling to conceive at our clinics: GinSen London. Take a look at some of our success stories here. After treating couples for over 20 years we wanted to share our knowledge and help other women who are struggling to conceive.
Can acupuncture help low ovarian reserve? Acupuncture can help repair hormonal imbalances and improve your reproductive potential, increasing your chances of a natural pregnancy. If you are undergoing IVF, acupuncture can optimize your chances of success while supporting you physically and emotionally throughout the process. Acupuncture stimulates nerves, muscle, blood vessels and lymphatic systems, while working to reduce stress by relaxing muscles, increasing blood circulation and unblocking energy channels. Overall, It helps ovaries with all natural healing aspect.
Cupping is excellent for detoxing. It reduces accumulated toxin by drawing them into the skin’s surface allowing it to be eliminated easily. These toxin include accumulated excessive blood clotting, fluid, inflammation. It also helps to unblock energy channel which are related to follicle growth and eggs production in the ovaries.
Moxibustion is herbal heat therapy, it transforms warmth of Yang energy into ovaries and pelvic area, increasing Spleen and Kidney Yang energy level. This ultra Yang energy works to boost vital Qi flow, blood circulation, enhance the environmental condition for better egg growth. It also removes internal coldness or cold-air, so moxibustion works to ehnance eggs growth rate and quality of eggs.
2. Natural Herbal Medicine: Chinese herbal medicines have a nourishing and balancing effect, normalising the function of the Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Ovarian axis. Chinese herbs nourish the spleen, liver, and kidney systems which are responsible for our reproductive health. Herbal formulas are designed to build nutrient-rich blood for the ovaries, which will better nourish the developing follicles and create better egg quality. The herbs help to improve ovarian function and cause FSH to be secreted in proper amounts at the correct times. TCM can be an effective way to restore reproductive health and balance the hormonal system, helping increase your chances of conceiving both naturally and even so, if you are undertaking IVF and looking to increase your success rate.
To help you get started we have listed some of our popular natural products which we use in our clinics below. You can find more information about each of the products and how they work on our website. Simply follow the link below. We also offer free consultation, just get in touch if you have any questions.
Natural Supplements To Help With AMH and FSH Levels
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our clinics website: GinSen where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.