Ginseng Supplements: Benefits You Need to Know About
Ginseng is one of the most popular herbal medicines in the world. It is packed full of antioxidants to help calm inflammation, holds immune-boosting properties, and may help support energy levels (1) These are just some of the reasons people choose to add this herb to their supplement routine.
Let’s take a closer look at what all the hype is about, the different types of ginseng and then how you can go about finding the best quality ginseng to add into your supplement routine.
The Different Types of Ginseng
Red Ginseng: Also known as pan ginseng. Red ginseng is white ginseng that has gone through additional processing, which often causes a price increase.
White Ginseng: White ginseng, unlike red ginseng, is dried right after harvest, and can be found in powdered form or as a dry root. (2)
Ginseng holds countless different health benefits including:
- Rich Source of Nutrients: Ginseng is rich in antioxidants, amino acids, vitamins, polysaccharides, peptides, and ginsenosides which hold incredible anti-inflammatory health benefits. (3)
- Adaptogen: Ginseng is also considered an adaptogenic herb which are herbs that can help balance the body’s stress response, promote homeostasis, and may even hold neuroprotective, anti-fatigue, and anti-depressive effects. (4)
- Reduce Stress Hormones: Due to its apoptogenic properties, ginseng may also be able to help reduce stress hormones as it has been found to regulate the immune response as well as the hormonal changes that occur due to stress. Ginseng may be able to help promote homeostasis in the body while also reducing symptoms of anxiety. (5)
- Boost Brain Function: One of the most popular uses of ginseng is to help boost brain function. Ginseng has been found to help improve cognitive performance and reduce mental fatigue. (6) Compound K, a metabolite that comes from ginsenosides has also been found to hold neuroprotective benefits and has even been found to reduce inflammatory markers in animal studies when looking at the effects of compound K and Alzheimer’s disease. (7)
- Boost Immune System: If you are looking to boost your immune system, you may want to consider adding ginseng to your supplement routine. Studies have found this herb to be beneficial for preventing cold and flu symptoms. (8)
- Improves Fertility: Another well-known benefit of ginseng has to do with fertility health. Ginseng has been found to improve sperm quality due to the ginsenoside compounds in ginseng, and this herb has also been found to help with the treatment of sexual dysfunction. (9)
- Anxiety & Depression: Another common reason people use ginseng is to help with symptoms of anxiety and depression. Studies have found that ginseng may be able to help prevent stress-associated conditions and regulate the body’s response to stress. (10)
- Boosts Energy & Prevent Fatigue: Many people use ginseng to help support energy and improve exercise endurance. (11) If you suffer from low energy levels, ginseng may be a great natural option to get your energy levels
Where to Buy High-quality Ginseng?
While ginseng holds some very promising health benefits, it’s an expensive root, so wherever you buy it, you want to make sure you are making the most of your money as it’s not unusual for some manufacturers to sell adulterated ginseng.
The Bottom Line
Ginseng holds so many incredible health benefits. Studies have proven time and time again that this herb can help support energy levels, boost cognitive function, support immune health, and even support reproductive health. Give ginseng a try to see how it can improve your overall health, it may just be the herb you need to take your health to the next level.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our clinics website: GinSen where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.