If you are constantly feeling tired, rundown and struggling to focus you may have something called Adrenal Fatigue.
Adrenal glands are absolutely vital to your wellbeing because they help you cope with stress. When you body is under stress, it produces and releases a hormone called cortisol into the bloodstream. When you are exposed to stress for a prolonged period of time, the stress can exhaust the adrenals. This depletion of adrenal leads to various symptoms and influence your response to stress, mood, immune system as well as your sleep cycles.
Adrenal Glands Working at 100% = Energised, Mental Clarity
Adrenal Glands Fatigue = Tired, Low Energy & Brain Fog
Symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue
|Anxiety||Always Feeling Tired||Brain Fog. Poor Concentration|
|Always Feeling Cold||Lack of Motivation||Insomnia|
|Headaches||Night Sweats||Decreased Sex Drive|
|Increased Allergies & Infections||Nausea||Weight Gain or Loss|
|Fibromyalgia||Weakness in Muscles||Heightened Senses|
Causes of Adrenal Fatigue
The main underlying cause of Adrenal Fatigue is chronic stress. Exposure to stress of any kind such as mental, physical or external factors can all contribute to Adrenal Fatigue.
- Chronic Stress
- Emotional Trauma
- Unhealthy Diet
- Overworking With Not Enough Rest
- Over Exercising
- Over indulging in coffee, smoking
If your body is exposed to these over a long period of time Adrenal Glands become depleted and lead to various symptoms. As the body produces the hormone called cortisol to deal with stress and stressful situations around you and if left unaddressed, the high production of cortisol lead to further serious issues such as weight gain, cholesterol, blood pressure and more. This is why it is important to address Adrenal Fatigue as soon as you are aware.
Chinese Medicine for Adrenal Fatigue
In Chinese Medicine, all the bodily systems rely on the Kidney for Qi, for the energy to function. It includes adrenal glands, reproductive organs as well as the energy that is required for growth.
When it comes to Adrenal Fatigue it if often observed due to deletion of Kidney Qi or vital energy in the body.
In Chinese Medicine, Adrenal disorders are classified as deficiency syndromes that come about mainly due to imbalances in Yin and Yang, blockages along the Meridians of the Liver, Stomach, Spleen and Kidney. This is frequently caused by:
1. Kidney Qi and Yang deficiency
The Kidney Qi regulates the correct functioning and activity of all of our organs. Our day to day modern lifestyle find us using Kidney Qi regularly which leads to a depletion of Kidney Qi and creates an imbalance in Kidney Yin and Kidney Yang.
Where there is Kidney Yang Deficiency the following symptoms can present:
- Water retention
- Body heaviness
- Lower back pain
- Low blood pressure
- Decreased sexual function
All of which are all symptoms of adrenal fatigue. If the condition continues without treatment, it can also result in Kidney Yin Deficiency.
2. Stomach Qi deficiency
The Stomach is responsible for taking in and the ripening and breaking down of ingested food and fluids. If the Stomach is not able take in food and fluid or to produce sufficient Descending Qi this suggests Stomach Qi stagnation or a blockage of energy.
As the Stomach and Spleen work so closely together it can also be the result of Spleen Qi Stagnation or Yang Deficiency. This condition results in:
- Abdominal pain
- Other symptoms of adrenal autoimmune conditions
3. Spleen Qi and Yang deficiency
The Spleen is the primary organ of digestion and has the role of converting food into Qi and Blood and nourishing the bodily fluids.
When there is Spleen Qi and Yang Deficiency, undigested food will get stuck in the Colon. This results in a build up of gas – causing bloating – and the production of excessive fluid which slows down the metabolism. This explains the symptoms of adrenal fatigue which include:
- Raised cortisol levels
- Cellular resistance
- Raised blood sugar levels
- Weight gain
- Potentially Type 2 Diabetes
4.Liver Qi stagnation
The Liver is the organ with the main responsibility of harmonising emotion. It helps to create a relaxing and easy going internal environment.
Liver Qi stagnation can affect the functioning of individual organs multiple organs. It can also affect the body’s nutrition and energy level. Symptoms of this include:
- Emotional ups and downs
- Hair loss
- Irregular periods
- Poor sleeping patterns
All the above symptoms of adrenal stress are commonly seen in the clinic.
Natural Chinese Medicine Treatment For Adrenal Fatigue
There are various treatments that are effective at treating a variety of adrenal disorders. Treatment will encourage the smooth flowing of the body’s energy and will enable the organs of the Kidney, Liver Stomach and Spleen to work effectively.
Acupuncture For Adrenal Fatigue
Acupuncture promotes the flow of Qi ad ensure the Kidney is operating at an optimal level. As adrenal glands are found on top of the Kidneys, you will find your Acupuncturists focusing on the Kidney Meridians to start with and then slowly branching out depending on your individual condition to achieve the best result. Acupuncture improves adrenal function, balances cortisol levels while lowering stress and increasing the production of serotonin.
Other treatments such as Cupping, Moxibustion are also effective natural treatment options of Adrenal Fatigue.
Herbal Remedy For Adrenal Fatigue
Herbal prescriptions are always the first choice for supporting adrenal disorders. They are safe, natural and work fast to restore your body to balance. After an in depth consolation with your TCM practitioner you will be prescribed a personalised mix of herbs that is tailored to suit your particular needs – each herb works to support particular symptoms. Your practitioner will also discuss your diet and make suggestions about improving your lifestyle which will help to prevent burnout and adrenal fatigue.
Diet and lifestyle advice for adrenal disorders
There are some ways that you can help to restore your body’s natural balance of Qi and Yang , or smooth Liver Qi. As we have mentioned, adrenal disorders are deficiency syndromes. It is important to eat regularly and to increase your intake of rich proteins and to have a balanced diet including vegetables and red meat / fish and plants proteins.
You should try to avoid:
- Fried and processed food
- Artificial sweeteners
- Cold or room temperature water
Food that can help:
- Leafy vegetables
- Healthy fats such as coconut oil and olive oil
- Burned walnuts, almonds and pistachios
- Red meat (beef or lamb)
- Black Mushroom
- It is also helpful to increase your intake of foods that are high in vitamin C, B vitamins (especially B-5 and B-6), and magnesium . These all help to support healthy adrenal glands.
- It’s also important to drink enough warm water, or fresh ginger tea, or fresh ginger with lemon Being dehydrated can be a cause of stress and this encourages your adrenal glands to produce greater amounts of
- Timing your meals is also important as this helps with regulating your blood sugar levels and preventing slums of energy throughout the day. It helps to eat breakfast in the morning – when your Stomach is at its most receptive, and to eat regularly throughout the day.
- Practicing meditation and being mindful is also helpful at reducing your stress levels and this can held your adrenal levels to not become overtaxed.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our consultation page where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.