Astragalus Root Benefits (Huang Qi)
The use of herbs as traditional medicinal has been carried out in China to boost immunity in human beings for a thousand years (1). Astragalus membranaceous or Astragalus is a native plant of Asia known as “Huang qi”; the yellow leader in Chinese. The name is given because of the yellow color of its roots (2).
Astragalus is also known as Milk Vetch in English, Hwanggi in Korean, or Ogi in Japanese. Traditional Chinese medicine puts a lot of emphasis on the vital energy, known as Qi, and the equilibrium in positive and negative, know as Ying-Yang balance. Astragalus is believed to help in getting the benefits of Qi .
Properties Of Astragalus Root
Astragalus is known to be valued because of its ability to strengthen the immune system. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities as well (3).
- Anti-Inflammatory Property: Every disease has inflammation at its root. It has been reported by many studies that polysaccharides and saponins present in the Astragalus help in increasing the response to inflammation in several diseases. This helps heal lesions and wounds by reducing inflammation in kidney disease due to diabetes.
- Antioxidant Property: The flavonoids present in the Astragalus act as antioxidants that reduce the production of free radicals in the body.
Astragalus Root Benefits (Huang Qi)
- As an immunity booster: In alternative medicine, Astragalus has one of the most important uses to improve the functioning of the immune system. It is believed that the Astragalus increases the production of the immune cells. It has been displayed to control the t-helpers cells, thereby regulating the body’s immune system (4).
- Protection to Cardiovascular System: Astragalus contains flavonoids that act as antioxidants and prevent the buildup of plaque in the arteries. It also prevents the narrowing of the blood vessels. It is used in the treatment of viral myocardial in combination with conventional treatment (5). It also reduces blood pressure and triglycerides (6).
- Protection against Flu and Cold: Astragalus has long been used to treat flu and cold because of its anti-viral abilities. It is used commonly in combination with other herbs such as angelic, ginseng, or licorice for flu and cold. It is recommended that healthy individuals keep a regular use of supplements as it seems to work better in this way, similar to other remedies for cold and flu. Besides, if Astragalus is taken before winter, it reduces the chances of getting cold or any other upper respiratory tract infections.
- Protection for skin: Astragalus contains flavonoids, saponins, and polysaccharides that help in maintaining good skin. Saponins have both anti-inflammatory and wound healing properties. Flavonoids are also anti-inflammatory and help in the reduction of skin irritation and redness. Flavonoids also have antioxidant properties that help prevent damage to the skin by free radicals (7,8).
Astragalus Root And The Qi Deficiency
Qi is a life force that can be loosely translated to energy. In organic forms of life, every activity is derived by qi. Hence deficiency of qi can be termed as a lack of energy in an individual. The two core components of traditional Chinese medicines are Qi and Ying-Yang.
It is theorized that to maintain the balance of Ying-Yang, Qi is required in a sufficient quantity. A person gets benefited from good health, contentment, and well-being, when he has a balanced and harmonized Qi. Illness, suffering, and pain result from a deficiency of Qi.
- Astragalus Tonifies Qi: This means that Astragalus boosts the energy of the human body, in turn promoting the functions of the body’s organs. Astragalus tonifies Spleen Qi. In traditional Chinese medicine, it is believed that all the food and drink is transformed into qi (energy) by the spleen. A person may experience fatigue or sluggishness if he is experiencing a deficiency of Spleen Qi. Astragalus also increases appetite (9).
- Astragalus promotes blood circulation: Spleen also converts the food and drinks into blood along with energy. When there is any obstruction in Qi and blood, Yang collapses (14). Yang is the active energy of the body’s organ and refers to warmth, promotion, or excitement as well. Yang qi is also raised by Astragalus (10).
Astragalus helps in reducing the following symptoms caused due to deficiency of Qi and yang qi:
- Low chronic energy or fatigue
- Digestion problems such as bloating, indigestion, loose bowel movement
- Cold, flu, or hay fever due to decreased immunity
- Infertility or absence of period due to hormonal imbalance
- Weight problems
Astragalus (Huang Qi)
Astragalus (Huang Qi) is a powerful herb helps to strengthen the immune system, increase stamina, strength, and vitality. It is one of the primary immune tonifiers and natural antioxidants that protects the cells from external influences by increasing the antibody production to enhance the immunity system.
How To Take Astragalus Root Supplements
There are many forms in which astragalus root is available. It is available in the form of liquid extracts and capsules to be taken as a supplement. Additionally, the grounded powder of the roots can be brewed as a tea as well.
Following are the oral doses reported by researchers proving effective in specific conditions;
- Fresh, dried Astragalus root is administered in a quantity of about 1-4 grams.
- Capsules containing 250-500 milligrams of powdered astragalus root are taken two capsules three times a day.
- The tincture of Astragalus in a quantity of 3-6 ml, which equals half or a teaspoon, is taken three times a day (19).
- It is recommended in Textbooks containing Chinese herbs that astragalus roots can be taken in the form of herb tea in a quantity of 9 to 15 grams.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We can’t guarantee the treatment result, as the symptoms of conditions are unpredictable and vary greatly from person to person. The treatment length and recovery time also varies for individual. Please visit our clinics website: GinSen where a specialists will discuss your care and provide a consultation, and the treatment will be designed to meet your individual needs.